GENERAL SAMPLE TOPICS (Must be narrowed for the assignment!):
• Education: Creativity in public schools (select a grade range --elem, middle, grade, high, or higher; choose a side to argue providing either: 1) the ways school/government restricts creativity or 2) the present options for creativity in public schools).
• The Digital Era: The effects of digitalization on visual art (paintings, photographs, etc.)
• Gender issues: Disparities between what is socially acceptable for men and what is socially acceptable for women
• Cutting down on fuel: Public and Alternative Transportation
• YOU MAY SELECT YOUR OWN TOPIC APART FROM THIS LIST.
ALL TOPICS MUST BE APPROVED BY PROFESSOR
Purpose: Prove a viewpoint. The argument essay is a way to express your opinions using calculated evidence, clear details, and thorough research using books, articles, and databases.
The key to an argument is anticipating the opposing view and providing support that will refute their counter-arguments and strengthen your thesis.
Make a claim, one that is disputed, in doubt or controversial. Do not state a fact. Provide evidence to support your claim using credible (library) resources. Sythesize your ideas, going beyond summar and fact, creating a new idea or argument for the topic you chose.